One of the more difficult pieces of being an early childhood educator is figuring out how to approach the behaviours that challenge us. This session will engage practitioners in exploring which behaviours they find particularly challenging in their work, the reasons behind this, and strategies for addressing behaviour while maintaining caring and understanding relationships with children.
- Describe the difference between discipline and punishment
- Discuss the underlying reasons and communication behind challenging behaviours
- Explore strategies for handling challenging behaviour
- Practice how to engage in these strategies
- Understand ways to engage in daily preventative maintenance in order to reduce the occurrence of challenging behaviours